CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 30, 2008

We're Not In Portland Anymore Todo...

Today I went to the DMV to renew my drivers license. It will be expiring pretty soon, and since Kevin and I have been married for a year and a half, and my name has legally changed with the SSA, I figured my i.d. card ought to reflect that change. As I sat waiting for G027 to be called I looked around and saw that I was the only white person. I realized that Pasadena and Portland are polar opposites- culturally speaking. I also felt thankful for growing up in California, otherwise that could have been a potentially threatening situation, but instead I nestled down between a huge Mexican guy with a tattooed neck, and a small Vietnamese man who stared at me for the duration of both our waits. And I felt comfortable.

Otherwise it was a typical DMV visit, complete with cranky DMV employee. She talked to me like I was a moron. After I could not hear one sentence she opted to yell all further instructions at me, while rolling her eyes and sipping on the straw of her BIG-GULP. After I handed over my filled out form, and current license she told me she would not change my name without official documentation- I slid my marriage license through the window. She told me that I needed to first change my name with the SSA- I told her I had. She seemed especially annoyed that I was so prepared. I slid $30 through the window before she could tell me the fee was $28. She sighed and stared at the $30. I am sure she was thinking- "why couldn't this girl muster up a 20, a five, and three ones." I was thinking- "I never carry cash, and I hate writing checks." We stared at each other for a moment. She told me she had to get change and stomped away from her desk. After she returned with my $2 she sent me to camera B for my new photo.

I swear the next step is such a mystery, you sign that stupid electronic pad hoping that it somehow resembles your name (it never does). Then you stand against the bright blue backdrop and smile not knowing when the camera will snap your picture. The DMV photo guy says "thanks, you're done" with this smirk on his face as if to say "I just took the worst picture of you that you can even imagine." And for me, so far that has always been true.

2 comments:

tiffany clark said...

Classic

Unknown said...

I've only had ONE dmv employee ever (current pic) try and help me look good in my photo. She calmly suggested I push my hair forward, but tried not to show too much personality, in case I proved to be the type to be easily offended. I had one woman take my picture on "2" (out of a 3 count) just to catch me looking dazed and unprepared. She smirked as well.