CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Writing Exercise

In my Article Writing class we are given small writing exercises, to well, learn to write better. The other day our professor introduced a particular writing exercise with a story.

In Portland, we have many street fairs where locals sell stuff. Art, food, and some weird things. Apparently, years ago there was a woman who had a writing booth. You could pay her 50 cents and give her a topic and she would write a page on the chosen topic. In a similar fashion my professor told us to choose a topic for the person to our left to write about. I was given the topic "puppy-love" and I had so much fun writing it, I thought I might share it here too. Keep in mind I had a very limited amount of time to write this story.

Puppy-Love

I would have to call it puppy-love. There was not other way to describe it. I was in second grade and certain I had met my future husband. His name was Taylor. He had just moved to California from Georgia. We sat at the same table in Mrs. Cox class at Walt Disney Elementary. As luck would have it, I was given Taylor as my reading partner. We were told to prepare a short presentation on Johnny Appleseed. Taylor told me he was nervous, and that he couldn't read very well. I was confident I was the girl to carry him through.

"Don't worry Taylor, it's going to be great!" I told him.

I arrived home and got to work. It was important that I looked good. I began to put together what I thought would be the perfect outfit. The next morning I got dressed in the outift that I had fashioned after the '80's pop singer, "Tiffany." I pulled on a pair of wool tights, laced up my high top converse and put on a denim skirt, over a tu tu. I wore my favorite over sized sweater. The pink and yellow one, with the rollerskating elephants holding hands on it. I thought it might make Taylor want to hold my hand.

My mom drove me to school and when I stepped out of the car I was mortified. I suddenly realized what I was wearing. I was so embarrassed I turned to get back in the car, only to see that mom was gone. I did not feel as cool as "Tiffany."

1 comments:

Cheryl Thompson said...

This is what happens when a mother lets her little girl "just be herself"...