CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 14, 2008

46 Hours, and A Really Good Evening

46 hours that's how many hours I "worked" this week. Full-time at my new job, and six hours as an usher at Fuller's graduation. Before I had a job, and before Kevin had a job we signed up to work graduation because it seemed like a good idea. We thought, we could make a few extra bucks handing out programs and showing people to the empty rows. In reality this was only half true. We did make a few extra bucks, but oh-my-gosh people are mean at graduations. We got to work together which was nice, but the day started off a little on the wrong foot so to speak. That "wrong foot" being our alarm clock malfunctioning. We needed to leave our apartment at 6:45 to walk over to the church and we woke up at 6:30, or rather Kevin woke up- I am fairly certain I would have slept until 10 if I could have. We ironed clothes, and got ready in 20 mins. and speed walked to the church.

Our job was not so simple, because we were required to keep the aisle clear due to fire code. In a crowd of nearly 4,000 people I would guess that 50% spoke languages other than English. And everyone wanted to stand in the aisle, taking pictures, bouncing babies, or simply staring. We had to be down right mean sometimes. Every time I told someone "this section is completely full, you have to go to the balcony." They would respond "that's ok, I'll just stand here." I'm thinking, riiiiight, you can't stand anywhere. At one point Kevin said to a group of three men "You've got two options, find a seat or leave. You can't stand." This after explaining over and over that they needed to sit down. And, there was this one guy who had his video camera, not pointed at the graduation ceremony, but right at Kevin and I. So maybe you will see us on YouTube getting confrontational with someone's grandma.

After it was all said and done we handed in our time cards agreed without any discussion that we would NEVER usher again and walked home. I took a two hour nap, and then we woke up and went to Whole Foods to eat some dinner. Which by the way, I love eating there- we can each get what we want and it's so so yummy. Also I drank a cold Yerba Mate which was refreshing and energizing. My brother Andy convinced me at some point that mate was like a miracle tea, and for some reason I was totally convinced. I still am- it always perks me up. It reminded me how much I love it and so I bought a box of tea bags before we left. Anyway I am much more happy since my nap, shower, eating yummy food and drinking mate. I guess I'll tell you about my new job on another day this is super long.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

humans are the worst at following directions.

Traveler said...

Hi Melody,

Ah, yerba mate... It has so many uses and so many ways to drink it, each with its own appeal. What I like most about mate is the ritual of drinking it. In Argentina, when friends come over to visit, you pull out the mate and drink it with you them. It is an entire ceremony where we take time to celebrate the moment of sharing. When alone, it is good excuse to stop life for a bit and think. I am pretty sure that John Adams drank mate. :)

Regards.