CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Don't Get It

Warning: This post may sound a little whiney.

I have been sick for 8 days, and yesterday my symptoms changed, and not for the better. My throat swelled, swallowing became painful, and an inspection of my throat revealed an enlarged tonsil covered with icky white spots. Kevin and I both came down with colds shortly after Christmas, which was very frustrating as we had carved out time to set up our new apartment, and make some big shopping trips to finish buying what we need for the baby. We returned to Pasadena only to spend our days laid out on the couch. "Ok," I thought "We'll get over this, and finish getting everything done." But I didn't. Well, I haven't yet. And what's more frustrating is that I have worked hard to save sick and vacation hours for my maternity leave, and I am burning through them as I stayed home yesterday and today. I will go see a doctor today, and I am hoping he can give me something to help get me well. But in the meantime my boss is back in the office today, and I have my final event before maternity leave next Friday. I feel the pressure of needing to get things finished for that event while I am experiencing the reality of being 4 weeks from my due date, and I'm sick. I've felt ambitious through my entire pregnancy to be someone who works until the very last minute. But now that I am four weeks out- my back hurts a lot, and I am tired, and I get contractions when I do too much. And now? I'm not so sure I'll make it through four more weeks of work. I am trying my best to let things go, and take care of my body- it's what's best for me and Peapod, at least that's what Kevin is trying to help me learn.

How far along? 36 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: 21 lbs. Over the 20 pound mark, but feel good about my weight gain.
Stretch marks? Yeah
Sleep: I still sleep well, praise Jesus. Seriously, I wake up about 3 time a night for bathroom breaks again, but I go right back to sleep after.
Best moment this week: We did get some baby shopping done, including our crib mattress, mattress pad, sheets, bumper, and a few other items. We have been so incredibly fortunate with our purchases, that I plan to devote an entire post to it.
Movement: All the time, and baby is so big now that every once in a while a little rear end pokes out of my side, and I feel little knees and elbows drag slowly across my belly. Sounds weird, but it's actually a lot of fun.
Food cravings: This week I was hit with the craving for beef stew and biscuits, so that's what I ate. I've also been back to popsicles, and loving granny smith apples- peeled and sliced only. I know that probably removes at least 50% of the nutrition, but I hate the skin on a granny smith.
Gender: ???
Labor Signs: Don't think so. I am working off the assumption that I will go on or after my due date, so that I don't get too ancy.
Belly Button in or out? Still in, and with four weeks left, I think I get to keep my innie.
What I miss: Sleeping on my tummy, and getting out of bed without having to roll out of bed.
What I am looking forward to: Holding my pink screaming new born, and falling in love for the second time in my life.
Weekly Wisdom: If you work full-time, give yourself a break, and make the start of maternity leave flexible.
Milestones: 36 weeks = 9 months, technically (9x4) and I am celebrating that!

5 comments:

Bern Thompson said...

Give yourself as many breaks as you need, and take them and enjoy them! Save your energy for the main event!

Love,

Dad

Erin said...

Oh you are getting so close! Hang in there, all the tiredness and pain is so worth it. I'm wishing you a fast recovery from this crappy cold that's holding you down. Just remember your nearing the finish line of this part of the race but you have a few more races to run so don't push too hard, you need some steam left :) You will never again have as good of an excuse as you have now to take a break.

Unknown said...

Oh man. So so sorry you caught the illness, both of you. :( I wish I was your neighbor, and I could come help and make you more beef stew.

Cheryl Thompson said...

Almost there! Hooray! I just know that you are going to be well and as strong as an Amazon on birth-day. Just keep thinking of that warm little body and that sweet little face that you are about to see for the first time. Think about how knocked out Kevin is going to be when he meets his child. Oh, wow! This is so awesome!

Kristin said...

Oh Melody, your post brought me back to when I was 4 weeks from my due date. I know it's hard, but somehow everything that's truly important for your last bit of work will get done, and in the meantime put your legs up when you can and get Kevin to rub your back. The funny thing is that in a couple months you probably won't remember much from these last weeks because the excitement of meeting Peapod will be so great.
Susannah had a birthday party for Bowzer tonight (complete with a birthday candle on a piece of meat) and she wants to sing happy birthday to peapod when she is born. (it sounds like "Haaappppeeeuoooo") :)