CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Giving With Open Hands and Hearts


"As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 'I tell you the truth,' he said, 'this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.'" Luke 21:4

What can be better than someone putting their money where their mouth is? I recently read about Sandra Bullock giving $1 million to Haiti earthquake relief. That is a huge donation, and I don't want to minimize that- but. And (as my freshman history teacher would say) it's a big but. Various media outlets report that Sandra makes around $15 million per movie. Which means that in 2009 she made a minimum of $45 million. What's more, her donation has been heavily publicized.

I personally believe celebrity's have a responsibility to give big since they earn big. However my morals regarding giving are shaped by the Bible, and I can't hold everyone to that. It makes me wonder though- what about the single mom who cries over images of orphaned children in Haiti, and gives $10? Her own children may do with less for the week, but she has given what she could and no one may ever know about her donation.

This is a lesson I will probably learn and relearn throughout the course of my life. I am constantly trying to loosen my grip on my money, and on all of my belongings.

I would like to suggest that giving with an open hand, and without expectation of recognition or equal return is more rewarding than just about anything.

I recently told Kevin that I will always tell our children that "you will never regret buying a meal for a friend." It's true, I have never paid and then wished that I hadn't. The conversation, and laughter that are shared over a meal or a cup of coffee outweighs the few dollars spent.

Now I just need to learn to give when I am not directly benefitting from the gift.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Great Post! I often hear sermons on giving time or used items to the needy if someone doesn't have money to give, but the widow didn't give time or used clothing. She gave money.

Kristin said...

Have been thinking about this too- how easy is it to want to give only when it really doesn't cost us anything important? Argh. Definitely hear you, and think of David insisting on paying for the threshing floor in 1 Chron. 21...