CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's Been Too Long

Don't you think so? Apparently my friend Lindsay does. She's threatened (what I can only assume is) physical violence if I didn't blog soon ( she said, "blog, or else"). She's quiet, but I think her "or else" is actually quite scary if you know her well enough, or if you've lived with her, as I have.

I don't have much to say, or even a well-formed blog idea today. But tonight, Kevin and I spent some time being very L.A. Actually, we were being very much ourselves but it fits an L.A. stereotype. Tonight we went out to eat wearing short sleeves, and driving with the windows down in the gorgeous 80 degree weather. We went out for sushi, and then we stopped by Pinkberry for dessert. I had original with raspberries and blackberries, if you're familiar with the system. Anyway As we were walking in downtown Pasadena, everywhere I looked I saw men and women who were near perfection. Perfect hair, perfect clothes, perfect cars, perfect shoes, perfectly white teeth- you get the picture. Now, it's not as though there weren't imperfect people sharing these sidewalks. The problem (for me) was that the imperfect, or even average individuals were far outnumbered. Outnumbered by women wearing skin-tight dresses that barely covered their bottoms, by men driving hideously bright $100,000+ cars, and everyone filling their cars with bags and bags of merchandise.

Kevin and I talk a lot about what we will do after he graduates. One of the options is to stay here,* but it is hard for me to imagine raising children in this area. Of course there are millions of hurting people in LA county who need salvation. I know that the Lord will guide us as we make our next steps, and if we stay here, I am sure he will provide me with the wisdom I will need to raise a family here. But on nights like tonight, I feel overwhelmed by the excess of LA culture.

*Please note that we still have no idea of what we actually be doing next, or where.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

pretty blog!

Bern Thompson said...

Yes!!! As the man said, "Read, think, speak and WRITE!!!" a A thoughtful re-entry!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay for a new blog! I selfishly hope that you continue to be overwhelmed by the idea of raising a family in LA. Truly though I want whatever will be best for you both. Pinkberry looks delicious!

Lindsay said...

I should probably tell you that I wasn't even aware I had threatened you till I saw Ryans comment. :) But I guess if thats what it takes... (Im so jealous you have Pinkberry)

Ryan said...

uh, for the record, lindsay did use threats! She threatened force, but that's very vague and you would probably not have been scared. so i may have beefed it up a little...