CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Our Little Guy

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Outage

Yesterday Kevin and I ran around town doing a little shopping and some errands. We were so excited to get home and relax, after all Kevin starts work at 7 a.m. and it was now nearly 6 p.m. and I began to make dinner when our power went out. I lit a candle and peeked outside- our block was out but we could see lights in the distance. We grabbed our hand crank flashlight and radio and looked for the phone number for our power company. Finally I got the word that 1300 customers were without power, the customer service guy couldn't tell me why, and the outage was expected to continue until 11 p.m. We were so bummed.

So we headed out to grab some dinner. I drove through a very busy intersection that had no stop light due to the outage. Apparently a common method for getting through such a situation is to lay on your horn as you speed through and narrowly miss on-coming traffic. (I don't actually recommend this moronic move.) We ate at McMenamins and both agreed that we thought the power would be back on at home. I mean it was 8:15.

The power was not on. We lit a bunch of candles and brushed our teeth. Kevin found an interesting sermon on the radio and we sat in bed listening. At about 9:15 our power jumped on. We turned the lights off, and finished listening to the sermon. It made me wonder why we don't spend more evenings in the dark, listening to radio programs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I'm sure this was a bit frustrating at the time, I'm quite a bit jealous! I love when the power goes out! Glad you got to enjoy some quality time together!

Unknown said...

old-timey

melody said...

totally.